You are hereAnesthesia/Pain Coding Tools
Anesthesia/Pain Coding Tools
This page has been reviewed. All links are working properly. 6/1/2013
Be sure to also check Anesthesia Guidelines as some of this information may overlap.
Anesthesia Conversion Factors, Base Units and more from CMS
2009 CVP "Cheat Sheet" for Anesthesia - Do you need central venous access codes for anesthesia? This version will tell you permacath, bard catheter, port-a-cath, etc. and associated radiology guidance CPT codes in a handy cheat sheet; created by Leslie Johnson, CPC.
2013 Nerves Chart - This is a "cheat sheet" that I created for nerve blocks with associated CPT coded. For use as a GUIDE only. iPACK, TAP blocks, Sphenoganglion blocks with Q-Tips and other blocks are discussed. Updated for 2013! Globals and bilateral indicators are included.
2013 Post-op Pain Chart - based on the new NCCI guidelines effective Jan 1, 2013
CMS Medicare Claims Processing Manual (Pub. 100-04), Chapter 12: This tells the Anesthesia concurrency modifiers (AA, QY, QK, QZ, etc.), discusses Teaching Anesthesiologists or CRNA, and more.
- Definitions of personally performed, medically directed, and medically supervised: section 50
- Definition of concurrent procedures: section 50J Anesthesia modifiers: section 50K
- Base units for anesthesia services: following section 50K: Exhibit 1
- Anesthesia and Teaching Facilities : section 100.1.2.A.4 CRNA Services: section 140
Epidurogram Checklist - from Leslie Johnson, CPC, this is an epidurogram documentation checklist set to AMA CPT Assistant standards. If it's in there, it's not just a fluoroscopic procedure. *Note* Info is still applicable in 2013
ICD-9 CM - directly from the CDC.
RVU 2010 with a twist - This contains only Globals & modifier use with Status Indicator Meanings. You can tell allowed bilateral procedures, co-surgeon-allowed procedures & Global days for procedures. Just a little tool that LJ created for when you don't need the entire RVU information. Use it as a guide ONLY - make your own from the current year RVU.
Statement on Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE) from ASA. This contains the how, when and CPT codes for TEE.
Please Use the following Cheat Sheets as GUIDES ONLY. Some of these date back to 2005, but they're here to give you ideas & guidance if you're looking for something for your own company or practice.
Anesthesia Cheat Sheet for Dx(2007)- Ears/EGD/Colongoscopy/Cysto/Pain-Spine by Leslie Johnson, CPC
Female Procedures Cheat Sheet(2005)- by Beth Ramsey, LPN, CPC, from the anpm List Serve
OB-Gyn Dx Cheat Sheet (2005)- by Beth Ramsey LPN, CPC from anpm List Serve
Pain Management / Anesthesia Cheat Sheet (2005) - by Beth Ramsey LPN, CPC from anpm List Serve
American Medical News - Gov't
OIG Criminal & Civil Enforcement
- Cenla Community Action Committee's Financial Management Practices and Systems Did Not Always Meet Federal Requirements
- Rhode Island Hospice General Inpatient Claims and Payments Did Not Always Meet Federal and State Requirements
- Massachusetts Medicaid Payments to Calvin Coolidge Nursing and Rehabilitation Center for Northampton Did Not Always Comply With Federal and State Requirements
- Wyoming Incorrectly Claimed Enhanced Reimbursement for Medicaid Family Planning Sterilization Costs
- The Medicare Contractor's Payments to Maryland Providers in Jurisdiction 12 for Full Vials of Herceptin Were Sometimes Incorrect